Central Heating Grants and Boiler Grants from the ECO Scheme

Central Heating Grants from the Government's ECO Scheme

Central Heating Grants Scheme

Central Heating Grants are available to install Central Heating Systems in Homes which have Never had Central Heating Installed Before

Central Heating Grants are available to home owners and tenants in homes owned by private landlords.

To qualify, your home must never have had central heating installed before, (that is why the official name for the scheme is First Time Central Heating Grants)


You (or someone living permanently with you) must receive one of the qualifying benefits, tax credits or other allowances.

In most cases Central Heating Grants pay for the full cost of installing a new central heating boiler, radiators, associated pipework and a room thermostat.

Central Heating Grants Qualifying Criteria

1. You must be a home owner or rent your home from a private landlord

Central Heating Grants are not available if you rent your home from the local council or housing association, or if you live in shared ownership home.

2. Your home must have one of the following heating systems installed OR no heating system at all:

  1. Electric room heaters, including direct acting room heaters or fan heaters
  2. Inefficient electric storage heaters
  3. Gas room heaters; including fixed mains gas room heaters; or
  4. Gas fire with back boiler; or
  5. Solid fossil fuel fire with back boiler
  6. Electric underfloor or ceiling heating (not part of an electric boiler); or
  7. Bottled LPG room heating; or
  8. Solid fossil fuel room heaters; or
  9. Wood or biomass room heating; or
  10. Oil room heaters

The heating system used to assess your eligibility for First Time Central Heating Grants is that which appears as the ‘Main Heating’ system on the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for your home. You can see your EPC (if one has been prepared) HERE if you live in England or Wales and HERE if you live in Scotland.

Central Heating Grants

Central Heating Grants Application Form

Step 1 of 2

  • 1. Your Details

  • We need this to confirm that you qualify for a central heating grant

3. You must receive at least one of the Qualifying Benefits, or qualify under ECO Flex Rules

To qualify for Central Heating Grants, either you or someone living permanently with you, must receive  one of the following State Benefits, Tax Credits or Other Allowances. Alternatively, you may qualify under ECO Flex Rules (please see below):

  • Guaranteed Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income-Based Job Seeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Child Benefit (subject to maximum household income thresholds)
  • War Pensions Mobility Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

ECO Flex Rules (sometimes called LA Flex Central Heating Grants) allow local councils to recommend that a householder qualifies for a grant even if they don’t receive one of the qualifying benefits.

This may because,although you don’t receive one of the benefits above, you do pay a relatively high amount of your household income heating your home.

Each local authority is allowed to set its own rules for ECO Flex Central Heating Grants.

Currently we only cover Liverpool, Leicester, Nottingham, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Dudley for ECO Flex Central Heating Grants.

Central Heating Grants from the ECO Scheme
Central Heating Grants - installing central heating radiators
Central Heating Grants from the Government's ECO Scheme
Central Heating Grants can be used to fund the installation of the following central heating systems:

Central heating grants provide funding to install the following types of central heating boiler plus radiators, pipework and room thermostat:

  1. Mains Gas Boiler
  2. Biomass Boiler
  3. LPG Boiler
  4. Air Source Heat Pump
  5. Ground Source Heat Pump
  6. Electric Boiler

Central Heating Grants from the Government’s ECO Scheme